Followers, follow me! or lead me, either way.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Okay, now I have a nice new clean Myspace page (now deleted). Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that. At any rate, I made my "real" profile private because I was tired of impudent males asking stupid questions. Can I block them in my real life, too? No, I suppose not. But it's so easy on the computer; it's also easier to overreact or take things personally!

But how much personal stuff do you really want out there? Think of the elected official, Rob Smoke, article below. Do you really want to invite trouble?

"The Boulder city council is set to discuss new rules of conduct for those who serve on boards and commissions after one staffer received heat for material posted on his MySpace page.
A member of Boulder's Human Relations Commission was criticized by the city council for comments he posted on his personal page.
On his MySpace page Rob Smoke said, "I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm horny, I'm stoned ... and I'm a city official."
Many of Boulder's elected officials consider the postings inappropriate. On Tuesday, they will debate a resolution that would, in part, require board members to show respect for the law. Those who don't could be fired.
Smoke said it shouldn't be up to the city to determine what speech is and isn't offensive and that the questionable posting is a joke. He said that part of the quote was taken from lyrics of a song sung by The Doors' Jim Morrison.
On his page he also jokes about marijuana and getting arrested.
The city council said the resolution is meant to clarify expectations.
"What the city council is saying now is that they want to be able to eliminate commission members at the drop of a hat if they deem your discourse disrespectful in some way," said Smoke.
He said the city council is trying to stifle dissent and he's not a city employee -- he's a volunteer and his MySpace page is clearly personal.
"They're saying that anything you say is subject to scrutiny," Smoke said.
He said that the new rule would expand the city council's power and that people should be allowed to vote on it. The public will get a chance to comment Tuesday night. "
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/11056200/detail.html

Social ambiguity: As discussed earlier in this article, the missing face-to-face cues of e-mail makes it potentially ambiguous. Even sophisticated e-mail users will lapse into moments of miscommunication. It's very easy to misunderstand what others mean, resulting in worried efforts to decipher their possible intentions. That social ambiguity tends to draw out and heighten one's own anxieties and insecurities.

John Suler's The Psychology of Cyberspace

No comments: